Friday, October 14, 2005

Morning Dew location confirmed

Where:

I spoke this morning with Jim, the owner of Morning Dew Coffee on Burke St. and I've worked out a deal for us to meet there if we want. Basically we could meet there for free, and hang out pretty much indefinitely once there, as long as everyone present buys something from the shop. I'm thinking this isn't a big deal; they've got bottled water, soft drinks, Snapple, bagels, and (of course) coffee...all for around one to two dollars.

Let me know general reactions to this deal. I think it'd be a good place to meet since it's (essentially) free, has OK lighting, plenty of couches and chairs, free Wi-Fi, a couple of tables, and is centrally located. It also has a small platform stage, in the event that we ever wanted to hire a model for some life drawing at some point.

That being said, there's certainly no reason that we have to pick any one place to meet, then meet there forever--if anyone's got some other potential locations that might work out let me know. But, for now, we've at least got a place for our first few get-togethers.

When:

Is everyone OK with trying to schedule our first meeting some time in the first week of November?

If so, we need to pick a day. Jim @ Morning Dew is pretty open as far as this goes. Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday are all good weekday spots, he says, as well as maybe Saturday afternoon some time.

I'm of the opinion that once we've arrived at a good day/time it'd be nice to have that be a "regular" meeting time...that way we'd have a regular time to schedule stuff around and not have to go through this coordinating each time.

Frequency:

Once a month? Thoughts, anyone?

AND SO....

Everyone please let the rest of us know, either via commenting on this post or by emailing me, what days and times discussed above you would most prefer. I hope we can find a time that works for everyone.

-B.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, that first week in November isn't good for me - I'll be on a business trip. But it won't be a regular thing, so the next month I could join in. Thursdays are right out for me until May at least. Saturday afternoons sound best for me in general. I'm still trying to talk Ed into joining, but he's not a comics geek - he's just a sketcher - so I have to convince him we won't just sit around and discuss Hellblazer.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Ben Towle said...

We could do it the last week of October instead, if we wanted. Adam (Casey) told me there's some kinda comics convention-thing in Winston on Oct 22nd and we were going to put out some flyers there, so I was just thinking we should do it _after_ then...but that last week in October that immediately follows the weekend of the 22nd would work out nicely as well. Is this OK with everyone else?

10:41 AM  
Blogger Adam Casey said...

Last week of October?! You're cutting into my pumpkin smashing!

Any should work generally well for me.

Is there any proposed format for the meetings or will the first one just be a meet'n'greet and figure out what we should do from there?

10:47 AM  
Blogger Ben Towle said...

"...Is there any proposed format for the meetings or will the first one just be a meet'n'greet and figure out what we should do from there?"

I dunno yet...I'll probably solicit opinions/ideas on that once we've got a time and date nailed down.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Ben Towle said...

Chad's chimed in via email and says: "...Wed. and/or Sat. afternoons will be the best for me..."

Looks like Saturday seems to be emerging as an early favorite.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Adam Casey said...

Can I suggest midnight in a field with a fire and cool cloaks?

11:59 PM  
Blogger Fennec said...

Only if you bring marshmallows too.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Adam Casey said...

Looking to the future, if we set the last Saturday of the month as the meeting time, we run into a few problems for the next two meetings.

The last Saturday of November is Thanksgiving weekend and the last Saturday of December is New Year's Eve.

A possible solution would be to reschedule those meetings?

12:50 PM  
Blogger Ben Towle said...

Yeah, this time of the year is going to be touchy. Maybe we can just schedule meetings as we can, then try to settle into something more regular after the holidays.

I just emailed Jim @ Morning Dew to clarify what time might be available on Saturdays. When I hear back from him, I'll propose some time slots...and issue a "speak now or hold your peace" regarding Saturday as the "offical" day.

-B.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Adam Casey said...

By the way, there's a convention being put on by Lewisville's Classic Comics this Saturday.

It's at the Holiday Inn on Hawthorne Road across from Forsyth Medical Center.

I should be there in the afternoon. Look for the sideburns.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home